Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Getting my MRS

So we all know that I am taking a course entitled Marriages and Families. Little did I realize, though, that this class is actually trying to gear me toward life as a wife and mother. Who would have thought? I was pretty convinced I was getting a feminist education. I mean, I'm reading about the self-esteem of middle school girls. What could get more feminist than that?

I guess Marriages and Families simply wants to balance out the feminist bias inherent in social science classes at the University of Michigan. A noble cause, I guess. For my homework assignment this week, I was asked to look over www.thenest.com. Now, I am pretty much obsessed with ridiculous websites, so I was happy, as I memorized the correct protocol in making my bedroom comfier, and how to get pregnant the first time. I even scrolled through the dining section, and read about Hosting Your First Holiday Dinner.

Apparently, newlyweds are insane.

6. Start a tradition.
After the meal it’s time to get everyone away from the table and to the family room or the backyard:

* If weather permits, get outside and play a game for all ages like Wiffle ball, soccer or Twister. Keep levels of sportsmanship high. So your niece cheats? She’s five.
* Back indoors work on a family puzzle. Buy one with a fun image and lots of little piece so everyone can start on a different section or break into groups and play cards (Go Fish, War, Hearts).
* Gear up for dessert with a custom-made hot cocoa assembly line (kind of like make your own sundae). Provide fun flavorings like cinnamon sticks, mini marshmallows, Hershey’s Kisses, mint candies, whipped cream and colored sugars.
* Get artful and make thumbprint art of a snowman or reindeer. Buy white card stock and rubber-stamp ink pads so guests can put their finger on the project (ha!). Colored pencils or felt tipped pens can flesh out the designs. Silver or gold pens would be elegant for the holidays.
* Dare we say it? Ok, we will: charades! Ask everyone to put an idea in the hat and start miming.


Do most families do this? When I am 26 and hosting my first holiday dinner, am I going to have to let my niece cheat? Make crafts with my relatives? Work on a PUZZLE?!

I guess I'm glad this is all theoretical. I'll bring this up in class tomorrow, maybe they'll help me reason this out.

3 comments:

Cooper said...

Marriages and Families? In high school, I was *required* to take Marriage and Parenting. The definite low point had to be when the teacher asked me whether I was gay in front of the class after I argued that gay people have a right to sexual expression -- and the right to be married -- just like straight people. Oh, Catholic school.

careysue said...

You can practice at our house at Thanksgiving! I thought this was hilarious...

Candid Carrie said...

All of the activities listed in Item Six are geared towards preventing unwanted pregnancies.

If your guests are busy running around doing arts and crafts there is no possible way that you are going to open a closet door and catch a couple that didn't arrive together gettin' it on in secret.

Keep your guests busy so they don't have time to get busy.