Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Not Even True

Dear Friend ,

I am alone on an island . I am in the exact center of the island .

I can not bear to look at the water , because what then ? There are no boats .

I have a tent . I have a book .

I have this paper and this pen and your handkerchief .

I even have food . I have a lot of food .

Will you come ?

I lied about the water -- somedays I swim . I take long , long , long swims .

We could swim together . You do not swim well , I remember . I would help you .

You would learn quickly .

We would swim for hours and you would grow to be better than me .

We could read , too . My book is very good . You could bring your books , as well .

Don ‘ t worry . We would have visitors .

We would have whomever you wanted every day .

The only reason I don ‘ t have visitors now is because they look like you .

It makes me lonely for you .

But it is OK . The island is very pleasant . Even alone it is pleasant .

The sunset is beautiful . The birds make a lovely noise . And , at night , I sleep very soundly .

I know you won ‘ t come . You are busy and have a good job . It is OK .

I just want you to know -- I am alone on an island , waiting for you .

Yours Truly ,

A Close Friend

1 comment:

careysue said...

I know exactly what you're talking about....